David Brabham, Maidenhead, England
Duncan Dayton, Danbury, CN
Stefan Johansson, Sherman Oaks, CA
Highcroft Racing joins the Acura factory sports-car effort in 2007 and brings a strong organization and driver lineup to the prestigious American Le Mans Series.
Based in Danbury, Conn., Highcroft Racing is led by owner and founder Duncan Dayton and former Indy 500 champion Danny Sullivan, as the pair coordinate a superb operation to take on the likes of Penske, Dyson and other top racing teams in the very competitive LMP2 division this year.
Highcroft Racing began in 1989 as a racing car restoration company but moved into competition mode a few years later. Dayton has expanded his business to battle against factory efforts in the American Le Mans Series, one of the most difficult series in the world. Dayton also proved his mettle as a driver with the expansion of his racing team. Racing against the likes of current Indy 500 winner Sam Hornish Jr., Memo Gidley, the late Greg Moore, Sam Schmidt and Robby McGehee in the tough Formula 2000 series, Dayton honed his skills behind the wheel of an open-wheel machine and moved into sports car racing by the late 1990s. The Harvard graduate made the decision to continue his racing career while growing his business endeavors.
While developing his real estate interests, Dayton added to his car business by designing a superb service company for vintage and current professional racing customers. In addition, Dayton captured five American Le Mans Series races while driving with other teams and drivers.
In 2002, Dayton won his class in the legendary 12 Hours of Sebring and took two straight Petit Le Mans races in 2002 and 2003.
In 2005, Highcroft Racing fielded a Lola in the American Le Mans Series and quickly made its competition take notice with a new professional operation.
Last year, Dayton teamed with Gidley and IndyCar star Vitor Meira to take third overall in the Petit Le Mans race at Road Atlanta.
Highcroft Racing added Sullivan as a senior advisor to assist in its expansion to a factory effort with Acura Motorsports. Highcroft Racing is one of three Acura-supported teams competing in the LMP2 class, with Dayton driving select events in tandem with full-time drivers David Brabham and Stefan Johansson, both world sports car stars.
Full Name: David Philip Brabham
Birth Date: September 5, 1965
Birth Place: Wimbledon, England
Residence: Maidenhead, England
Marital Status: Wife, Lisa
Children: Jayson, Sam, Finn
Son of Sir Jack Brabham, past Formula One champion, and younger brother of former IMSA and open-wheel star Geoff Brabham... born in England but grew up in Australia and is an Australian citizen... has lived in the United States previously... drove for two different Formula One teams in his career with Brabham (1990) and Simtek (1994)... began his racing career in 1983 in a 100cc sprint kart in Australia... avid soccer player and follows the English Premier League, including Manchester United... other interests include cricket, running, tennis and basketball.
- Signed to drive Highcroft Racing's Acura ARX-01A sports car in the LMP2 class during the 2007 American Le Mans Series
- One of four ALMS drivers to have at least one win in six of seven series seasons
- Captured the GT1 victory in the 2006 12 Hours of Sebring, driving a Panoz
- Won the GT1 class at the 2005 12 Hours of Sebring, driving an Aston Martin
- Has won 12 ALMS races, including seven LMP1 overall victories
- Won classes at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Petit Le Mans and Rolex 24
- Captured Australia's biggest race, the Bathhurst 1000, in 1997 with brother Geoff as co-driver
- Has started 10 Formula One races
- Competed in Formula 3000 and Formula Three in Europe
- Scored victory in the Rallycross event at Brands Hatch in 1993
- Won the 1991 24 Hours of Spa in Belgium
- Captured the 1989 British Formula Three championship
- Won the prestigious Macau Grand Prix, defeating Michael Schumacher
- Earned the 1987 Australian Gold Star Formula 2 title in 1987
Full Name: Duncan Dayton
Birth Date: April 28, 1959
Birth Place: Minneapolis, MN
Residence: Danbury, CN
Marital Status: Single
Competed in college hockey at Connecticut College, where he earned his bachelor's degree and now sits on the Board of Trustees... owns a Master's Degree from Harvard Graduate School of Design (1993)... involved in real estate development and vintage car restoration... began racing in vintage competition in 1990... has won a variety of vintage events, including four times on the streets of Monaco... other interests include skiing, golf, tennis, hiking and camping.
- Signed to campaign Highcroft Racing's Acura ARX-01A sports car in the LMP2 class during the 2007 American Le Mans Series. Teammates are David Brabham and Stefan Johansson
- Captured five LMP2 class events in 2002 and 2003 in the American Le Mans Series
- Drove to division championships in the 2002 12 Hours of Sebring and the 2002 and 2003 Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta
- Finished third overall in the 2006 Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta
- Owns a vintage racing restoration company that includes Formula One cars
- Competed in the Formula 2000 series and raced against the likes of Sam Hornish Jr., Memo Gidley, Greg Moore, Sam Schmidt and Robby McGehee
- Finished second in the Formula 2000 event at Watkins Glen, N.Y., in 1996
Full Name: Stefan Nils Edwin Johansson
Birth Date: September 8, 1956
Birth Place: Sherman Oaks, CA
Residence: Miami, Florida
Marital Status: Wife, Gabriela
Children: Kelly, Clara, Stefan Jr
One of the most experienced drivers in all of motorsports... has competed in everything from Formula One to Champ Cars to Prototype sports cars with success in every division he has competed... a successful businessman and entrepreneur with involvement in driver management (past IRL champion Scott Dixon is one of the clients) and the design and marketing of high-quality watches.
- Signed to drive the Highcroft Racing Acura ARX-01A in the 2007 American
Le Mans Series. He will team with David Brabham and
- Made 103 Formula One starts and recorded 12 podium finishes; first Grand Prix was in 1980 in Argentina; last start was in 1991 in England
- Best Formula One finishes were four second places (Canada, USA in 1985 for Ferrari; Belgium and Germany in 1987 for McLaren)
- Finished sixth in the World Championship in 1987
- Moved to Champ Cars in 1992 with Bettenhausen Racing
- Earned Champ Car Rookie of the Year honors in 1992
- Drove in three Indy 500 races (1993, 1994, 1995), best finish was 11th in 1993
- Won the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1984 and 1997
- Has driven for many top factory efforts in his career, including Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, Mazda, Nissan and Toyota
- Co-drove to victory in the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1997
- Won British Formula Three Championship in 1980
- Operated his own Champ Car team in 2003 with drivers Jimmy Vasser and Ryan Hunter-Reay
- Operated an Audi R8 in the European Le Mans Series in 2001
- Drove for Ganassi Racing in 2005 in the Grand Am Rolex series
- Drove in the Grand Prix Masters in 2006, as well as selected sports car
events with Cheever and CITGO teams in the U.S. and Zytek team