Back to Top
Exhibition Place, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Exhibition Place, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Race 1, 3:30 p.m. EDT Saturday, July 13, 2013
Race 2, 3:30 p.m. EDT Sunday, July 14, 2013
ENGINE MANUFACTURER COMPETITION
- The Honda Indy Toronto, 12th and 13th rounds of the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series, will be the second "doubleheader" race weekend of the season. Honda dominated the first doubleheader weekend last month in Detroit, winning both races in the Motor City.
- On Saturday, June 1st in Detroit, Mike Conway won for Dale Coyne Racing, with teammate Justin Wilson third and Scott Dixon fourth for Honda. Simon Pagenaud led a Honda 1-5 sweep of the top finishing positions on Sunday, June 2nd for Honda's 199th Indy car victory.
- Last weekend at the 2.5-mile Pocono Raceway oval, Dixon scored Honda's 200th victory in Indy car racing. The race was another dominant result for Honda, with Dixon's Chip Ganassi Racing teammates Charlie Kimball and Dario Franchitti second and third, respectively. In addition, Josef Newgarden finished fifth for Honda, a career best for the second-year Indy car racer, followed by Pagenaud and Wilson.
- Honda's 200 Indy car victories include 101 race wins in seasons with manufacturer competition, as well as 99 victories in the six-year period (2006-2011) when Honda supplied engines to the full IndyCar Series field.
- Honda-powered drivers have won four times this season, including three podium sweeps of the top-three finishing positions, and 13 podium finishes in 11 races this season.
- Honda's first 2013 race victory was recorded at Long Beach by Takuma Sato of A.J. Foyt Racing. Honda drivers finished 1-4 (Sato, Graham Rahal, Justin Wilson and Dario Franchitti).
- On his "off" weekend prior to Pocono, Pagenaud drove a race-prepared Honda Odyssey to second in the Exhibition Category at the 2013 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, part of a record 11-vehicle Honda effort taking part in the annual "Race to the Clouds". Built by Honda associates at Honda Manufacturing of Alabama, the Odyssey features a turbocharged, intercooled V6 engine producing more than 500 hp, a full roll cage and race-tuned suspension and brakes.
HONDA AT TORONTO
- The Honda Indy Toronto is one of the oldest street-circuit events in Indy car racing, having been run for the first time in 1986 as a Championship Auto Racing Teams event and being preceded only by the Grand Prix of Long Beach, which became a CART race three years earlier.
- Honda has served as the title sponsor of the Toronto event since it returned to the IZOD IndyCar Series schedule in 2009. The sponsorship is administered through Honda Canada, Inc., Honda Motor's Canadian subsidiary. American Honda sponsored the season-opening Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, and the Honda Grand Prix of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park two weeks later. The company will again be the title sponsor of the Honda Indy 200 at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in August.
- Honda-powered drivers and teams have a history of success at Toronto's temporary street circuit on the grounds of Exhibition Place, winning here seven times in both Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) and IZOD IndyCar Series competition. After a second-place finish by Bobby Rahal in 1994, Honda's first season of IndyCar competition, Honda-powered Adrian Fernandez and Alex Zanardi finished 1-2 in 1996.
- Dario Franchitti is Honda's most successful driver in Toronto, having won three times. His first victory here came in 1999, with Paul Tracy taking second for a Team KOOL Green 1-2 finish. Franchitti also won at Toronto in 2009 and 2011. Other Honda-powered winners at Toronto include Zanardi in 1998, with his Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Jimmy Vasser finishing third; Michael Andretti in 2001; and Will Power in 2010.
- The H-BLOCK Honda Fan Section, an exclusive, dedicated grandstand area where devoted Honda fans can cheer on their favorite drivers, will be located in the Red Diamond Fan Zone this weekend at Honda Indy Toronto. In addition to a reserved seat in the H-BLOCK grandstand, ticket holders for the Honda Fan Section will receive a Honda Fan Pack, including a hat, rally towel and cinch bag, and the chance to win other exclusive Honda prizes.
HONDA ACCORD SAFETY CAR
- The new 2013 Honda Accord Coupe made its debut as an IZOD IndyCar Series Safety Car at the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg. This Accord was originally built by Honda of America Manufacturing in Marysville, Ohio, and developed into a series Safety Car at Honda Performance Development in Santa Clarita, Calif.
- The new Accord joins an existing fleet of IZOD IndyCar Series Honda Civic Si coupe and sedan pace cars; and a Pilot utilized by IndyCar officials and safety team members throughout the 2013 season.
- Modifications installed on the Accord by HPD include Sparco seats and four-point racing harnesses; an HPD high-performance brake system, with four-piston calipers, competition rotors, racing pads, and stainless brake lines; a Honda Genuine Accessory aerodynamic body kit; Firestone Firehawk high-performance tires mounted on Enkei alloy wheels; and an IndyCar Series graphics package.