- Acura division sales up 10.5 percent with MDX and RDX setting monthly records
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported March 2014 Honda and Acura vehicle sales of 133,318 units. Acura division gained 10.5 percent (14.7 percent based on the Daily Selling Rate, or DSR*)on sales of 15,580, with light trucks increasing 45.8 percent for the month on sales of 10,387 units. The Honda Division recorded sales of 117,738 vehicles in March.
Despite heavy incentives from several major automakers, Honda market share remained strong in March with a nearly 30 percent month-over-month increase as the U.S. auto market clawed back from one of the worst winters in memory.
- Accord posted March sales of 33,962 and was the best-selling Honda model for the month
- Civic found 27,967 new buyers, up 0.1% versus last March
- CR-V recorded sales of 28,657, up 6.5 percent for the month
- Odyssey sales also rose slightly to 11,008
"With all of the independent data showing the competition getting back on the juice of heavy incentives and fleet sales, we couldn't be more pleased to see our core models—Accord, Civic and CR-V—attract such significant interest from retail buyers," said Jeff Conrad, Honda division senior vice president and general manager. "And with the all-new 2015 Fit going on sale this month, our model lineup is only going to get stronger."
Acura's flagship SUV, the MDX, drove a 10.5 percent division increase as Acura light truck sales climbed nearly 46 percent from a year earlier. RDX also contributed to its remarkable string of monthly increases, with sales rising for the 23rd straight month.
- Acura division sales increase 10.5 percent with 15,580 units sold in March
- Acura trucks rise 45.8 percent on sales of 10,387, a new March record
- MDX sales set a new monthly record with total sales up 80.6 percent, totaling 5,793 in March
- RDX recorded an increase of 18.2 percent on sales of 4,580 units, another March record
"It's unusual to have such strength and consistency in the hyper-competitive luxury SUV segment," said Mike Accavitti, Acura division senior vice president and general manager. "It's clear that MDX and RDX possess the key qualities that give lasting appeal."
*The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 26 days for March 2014 and 27 days for March 2013. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 75 days for 2014 and 76 days for 2013. All other percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.
# # #