1993 Acura Vigor- Introduction
The Vigor sports sedan is the fourth model in the Acura line of advanced performance automobiles. It offers personal sports sedan buyers the unique blend of performance, sophistication and advanced technology that is characteristic of all Acura automobiles.
The Vigor occupies a position between the Integra 3-and 4-door sedans and the Legend Sedan and Coupe. The Vigor is targeted to appeal to the kind of driver who wants a balance of performance and understated luxury.
CONCEPTS AND GOALS
- The Vigor is designed to provide:
- Excellent performance in terms of acceleration, a flexible, responsive engine and crisp shifting.
- An excellent level of safety in terms of both active and passive safety systems.
- A subtle, understated luxury environment that complements the driving expenence.
- Aggressive but refined cornering characteristics, stable and accurate response to steering input.
- Sporty but sophisticated styling, high levels of quality in fit and finish and a rigid structure for occupant protection and reduced interior noise.
- A low-stress driving environment.
The Vigor is equipped with a longitudinal drivetrain layout. By employing this configuration, the Vigor is able to achieve a 60/40 weight distribution, the ideal weight balance for a front-wheel-drive car. The Vigor is powered by an inline 5-cylinder engine equipped with a single overhead camshaft, four valves per cylinder, Programmed Fuel Injection (POM-FI), a two-stage intake manifold, electronic ignition and dual knock sensors. The engine produces 176 hp and 170 lbs-ft of torque. A newly developed hydraulic engine mount system helps to reduce noise and vibration. A 5-speed manual is standard. An electronically controlled 4-speed automatic with lockup torque converter and a low hold feature is optional. The Vigor features 4-wheel independent double-wishbone suspension. The Honda R&D-designed Anti-Lock Braking System(ABS) is standard. A driver's side Supplemental Restraint System(SRS) air bag is standard in the LS model, while the OS features a driver's and passenger's side air bag system. Also standard on both models is a direct clamping seat belt mechanism for both front seats. Structurally, the Vigor body represents the latest developments in body design and construction. It features a front frame rail structure designed to impart optimal torsional rigidity and help dissipate impact loads in order to prevent them from intruding into the passenger compartment. The Vigor is available in two trim levels - LS and OS. The LS model is fully equipped with air conditioning, wood trim and a leather-covered steering wheel. The more luxurious OS model adds leather-trimmed seats and door inserts, a power moonroof, a power driver's seat and the innovative DSP audio system.