Acura Introduces 1993 NSX Sports Car
The Acura Division of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., today announced the introduction of the 1993 NSX sports car. The two-seat, all-aluminum NSX offers the performance and styling of a mid-engine exotic, but with the reputation for reliability and quality. New for 1993 is the addition of a passenger's side air bag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) with automatic seat belt tensioners as standard equipment.
"The NSX has been called the best sports car ever built by some pretty tough critics," said Ed Taylor, vice president, Acura Division. "The NSX has redefined the exotic sports car market. It has the power and handling of traditional exotics but it's also a car that anyone can easily drive. It has all of the pluses and none of the penalties usually associated with exotic sports machines."
The NSX is the world's first aluminum production car. Every major component is constructed of aluminum for light weight, which provides an outstanding power-to-weight ratio and excellent handling. Use of aluminum for the entire body construction provides a 40% weight savings over an equivalent steel body.
Like the chassis, the suspension is made entirely of aluminum. It features double-wishbone suspension, front and rear, with special gas-pressurized, Honda Progressive Valve (HPV)-equipped shock absorbers. To optimize handling characteristics, the front tires are mounted on 15 x 6.5 JJ aluminum alloy wheels, while the rear tires are mounted on larger 16 x 8.0 JJ wheels.
Powering the NSX is a 3.0-liter, DOHC, 24-valve V-6 engine that produces 270 horsepower. This engine features a unique Variable Valve Timing and tit Electronic Control (VTEC) system, which varies the lift and duration of each cylinder's four valves to optimize both low-end torque and high rpm performance.
Another first for the NSX is the use of forged-titanium connecting rods in the engine to reduce reciprocating weight and enhance high rpm performance. The NSX can achieve a track-tested top speed in excess of 165 mph, acceleration from 0 to 60 mph in 5.03 seconds, and run the 1/4 mile in under 14.0 seconds.
A 5-speed manual transmission is standard on the NSX. A 4-speed automatic with electric power-assisted steering is optional.
The NSX is a showcase of leading edge technology. Among its features is a Traction Control System CTCS) that automatically reduces engine power to help eliminate wheelspin on low-traction surfaces. Yet unlike some other traction control systems, this Honda R&D development was created as a high performance system that functions over a wide range of speeds and cornering situations, rather than simply jousted traction-enhancing device.
A 4-channel Anti-Lock Braking System CABS) is standard on the NSX and controls each wheel independently for optimum performance on wet or slippery surfaces. Other engineering features include a Torque Control Differential and a twin-disc clutch.
Inspiration for the NSX exterior design came from the F-16 jet aircraft. The influence can be seen in the canopy-forward design, which offers more visibility than any other exotic sports car.
The aerodynamic NSX achieves a coefficient of drag rating of a.32. It also has a low coefficient of lift of 0.05 and a low yaw moment. Emphasis was on total aerodynamics, achieving a balance of lift, drag and yaw forces. The long-tail design and the integrated rear spoiler help maintain the car's stability.
Interior appointments include leather-trimmed power seats, Automatic Climate Control, an Acura/Bose®Music System, a theft-deterrent system and a driver's and passenger's side air bag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) with automatic seat belt tensioners.
The NSX is built in a dedicated plant in Tochigi, Japan, adjacent to Honda's R&D facility. The NSX assembly plant is the smallest of any Honda assembly facility and prides itself on having the slowest production rate: 25 cars per day is the capacity of the Tochigi plant's 200 associates.
For 1993, The NSX is available in Grand Prix White, Formula Red, Berlina Black and Sebring Silver. The NSX in Grand Prix White and Sebring Silver is available with a Black interior; all other colors are available with a choice of a Black or White interior.
The NSX is covered by a 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty.
The Acura Division offers a range of performance luxury automobiles that includes the NSX, the Legend Sedan and Coupe, the Vigor, and the Integra 3- and 4-door sports sedans.
ENGINEERING INNOVATIONS ON ACURA NSX BODY
Aluminum Unit-Body Construction
- World's first aluminum production car
- Unit body weighs only 462 lbs-40% less than steel
- Incorporates unique high-strength extruded-aluminum side sills
- Unique heat treatment insures surfaces hardness
- Highly corrosion resistant
- High torsional and bending rigidity
Cabin Forward/Long-Tail Design
- Provides best visibility in class-312 degrees
- Significantly improves aerodynamic balance
- Provides optimum occupant and component layout
- First application in U.S.
- Unique Variable Valve Timing and Lift . Electronic Control system
- Uses two different earn profiles to improve low-end torque and high end power
- Boosts engine performance to 90 hp per liter
Variable Volume Induction System
- Improves power and torque by optimizing air induction at all rpm
- Eliminates distributor
- Each plug has own ignition coil similar to F1 engine
- Delivers stable, high voltage to spark plugs
- World's first use in a production car
- Stronger than steel and lightweight-saves 190 grams
- Reduces mass for high rpm engine
- Two smaller-diameter friction discs replace large, heavier single disc
- Better design for high engine output
Torque Control Differential
- Unique limited slip differential
- Improves stability in crosswinds
- Aluminum four-wheel, double-wishbone design
- Forged-aluminum suspension arms for strength and . low unsprung weight
- Front suspension utilizes unique compliance pivot for ideal suspension geometry and ride quality
- 20 kilograms (44 lbs) lighter than steel
Four-Channel Anti-Lock Braking~ System (ABS)
- First use in U.S.
- Provides more precise independent braking control over each wheel
Traction Control System (TCS)
- Enhances performance over wide range of conditions rather than just enhancing traction
- System can be shut off manually by driver
Electric Power-Assisted Steering (AT models only)
- First of its kind on American market
- Electric variable power-assist uses electric motor rather than hydraulics to reduce steering effort
- Reduces weight; doesn't take power away from engine
Custom -Designed_Tires and Wheels
- Yokohama A022HI or Bridgestone Potenza REOI0HI unidirectional Z-rated tires
- 15-inch tires at front; I6-inch tires at rear
- Unidirectional tires specific to each comer of the car
- Different compounds used front and rear
- Ultra-light, forged, aluminum-alloy wheels reduce unsprung weight by 13.21bs over cast wheels
A Dual Air Bag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) with Automatic Seat Belt Tensioners
- Compact air bag design allows use in small steering wheel space .
- Electrical connectors are gold-plated to enhance conductivity and provide corrosion protection
- Automatic seat belt tensioners help to hold occupants in place
Aluminum Seat Frame
- First for a production car
- Entire seat frame made of lightweight stamped aluminum
- Has 1/3 fewer parts than steel seat
- Seat rails made from aluminum extrusions